Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The New Plastic


For awhile now I've noticed that science seems to be catching up with the green movement when it comes to plastic. A few weeks ago, I was in my local Caribou Coffee sipping a coffee and surfing the web on the store's free wi-fi when I noticed something different about the store's bottled water.

Anyone who knows me is aware that I hate bottled water. Besides the ridiculous mark-up for the stuff, it comes in plastic bottles. Plastic bottles last a few days fewer than forever in our landfills and billions of them are taking up space in them right now.

But as I turned in disgust at seeing the bin of bottled water my brain processed the full details of what my eye saw. Caribou is selling plastic bottled water in bottles that are designed to biodegrade. Huh?

Like most of the chain coffee shops around the U.S., Caribou sells water with a cause. Its stores sell water that supports the Project 7 nonprofit. The bottles are supposed to be biodegradable and are manufactured by a company called Enso.

I'm not going to hang around and see if the bottles do in fact biodegrade, but given Project 7's broad commitment to good causes, and Caribou's support of nonprofit's too, I'm giving the bottles the benefit of the doubt.




No comments:

Post a Comment